3/7/12

nothing is more powerful than an idea

The last couple of days I've been noticing posters & wondering what all of this Kony business was. Then finally, I happened upon the video above. I credit my parents & their kind & generous hearts for my personal interest in causes for the greater good. And while no one cause is necessarily better than the next if it's end goal is to do good, the Invisible Children campaign for Kony 2012 really struck a chord with me for several reasons:

1. The power of social media has always been of great interest to me, that's why I do what I do. I do, however, see social media as both a blessing & a curse. A curse, because I think of school children & the fact that over 40% of teenagers with internet access reported cyber bullying in the last year. In 2011, Facebook was cited in one third of all divorces. 8% of US companies have fired employees for  inappropriate social media behavior. These are scary statistics, but Invisible Children reminds me that it can be used for good. Exceptional good.

2. Any organization that seeks to punish those that murder, rape, kidnap, & mutilate young children is well deserving of all of the support they can get. The name says it all; these children are invisible. They don't have the education or voice or resources to protect themselves. If you're reading this, you're probably more than capable of donating a few dollars, or at the very least, helping spread the word.

3. I don't want this to fail. I want Kony arrested. When you really wrap your head around things, this is HUGE. It's true that there is now the potential to change the hierarchy. We are all now connected & we can reach out & help. Already, I have seen this message spread like a wildfire which means that the government & those with the money & the power will be forced to take notice & will be forced to take action. Things like this couldn't have occurred with much impact 10 years ago. I love that my meager little voice can help save the underdogs.
For more information, visit the Invisible Children page & sign the pledge. While you're at it, visit their Facebook page & make Kony known!

Also, I have 2 extra Kony bracelets coming my way. Leave a comment & I'd be happy to give one to you (& maybe some stickers too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment