4/16/13

making moves

I'm feeling a little sentimental after attending a friends' going away party last week. Those are probably the worst types of celebrations, yet I can't help but feel excited for someone that starting on a new adventure. I read a post from Jenna at Sweet Fine Day recently that really struck a chord with me + seems appropriate for these types of situations. She writes:

"I do really believe that we are meant to be in specific places for certain stages in our lives. Sometimes it’s not apparent when you’re there at the moment, but when you can reflect back on a personal timeline and see it spread out in front of you, it often starts to make sense as you weave together the pieces. I was meant to be in the East Village in the late 80s and early 90s. You could argue that without that experience my world and my mind would be tremendously smaller. In much the same way, I feel like I was meant to go to Washington in the early 90s to figure out who I was again after those years of experimentation and stepping out of every comfort zone I possibly could."
It's an interesting thing to think about + I certainly find myself in the same boat as Jenna. I can't even imagine how different my life would be had I not picked Chicago as my home. And that time a few years back when I was fully convinced that I would be moving to London? Maybe I would have had the time of my life, but I'm glad I didn't miss out on my life here for the past couple of years. Same goes with my childhood home of St. Louis. I don't think I'll likely ever move back, but I feel like St. Louis was a good fit for me growing up. Not the sexiest city, but I wouldn't do it any differently.

I often think about where my life might take me next but I haven't really come up with a good answer yet but I've always secretly kind of thought of myself as north(ish) west coast kind of girl. I've certainly dreamed about packing it all up + moving somewhere fancy warm, but who knows if that will happen. I really love my home right now but I do feel like now would be the time to mix things up a bit. I wish I was a bit more adventurous in that sense but then again, why change a good thing?

1 | 2 | 3

No comments:

Post a Comment