9/1/11

summer's last stand


It's that glorious time of the year -- North Coast Music Festival is upon us.

I've been looking forward to this festival all year & I just know that the team & the artists going to put together something special. I also have few tips that I think might make the weekend enjoyable:

- Have a really tall friend wearing a neon colored hat.

- Bring emergency toilet paper.

- Don't forget the glow sticks. This.

Okay, okay. Now some more important tips...


Festivals can be a big overwhelming, but one of my favorite things about Union Park is that is fairly easy to navigate from stage to stage if you set up a good campsite with your friends. I used this trick at Pitchfork -- pick an exact spot at each stage as your home base. That way, if you want to wander off to get beer, go to the bathroom, or take a gander at one of the other artists you will know exactly where to return. In order for this to work best, you can't plan to be front center. Usually staying back a bit & keeping close to the parameter works best. 

Finally, here are some of my top picks for the weekend:

Wolfgang Gartner - "Illmerica"
I hate to use this word, but honestly, I think this might be the most epic song of the weekend. 

STS9 - "Scheme"
I can't believe this will be the first time I'll be seeing one of their sets. It might even be the set I'm most excited about.

Rusko - "Sunday Girl"
I had so much fun seeing him at the Metro last year & I know this set will be great. If you like what you see, this kid will be playing NYE at Congress Theater.

Even though the seem to play every festival under the sun, I have yet to actually see them live. If my Turntable points are any indication, I would say that this song would be another huge hit of the weekend.

ATB - "Ecstacy"
This song title pretty much sums up how I expect to feel this weekend. Ecstatic, that is.

Benny Benassi - "Cinema"
His Ultra set was super fun & I don't expect this to be any different.

Mash-up Hood Internet is a good time

Thievery Corporation - "Take My Soul"
I have heard superb reviews of their concerts. The craziness that ensues on stage is a must-see for me.

Fatboy Slim - "Weapon of Choice"
Fingers crossed we get a Christopher Walken appearance. A girl can dream.

Major Lazer - "Pon de Floor"
These guys are certainly entertainers. I don't think seeing the whole set is necessary, but "Pon de Floor" is a must see.

Big Gigantic - "Get Em High"
Rumor has it they have a killer "What's Your Fantasy?" remix.

Gotta give love to some Chicago boys.

David Guetta - "Little Bad Girl"
For some reason I want to hate Guetta, but who am I kidding? I will for sure be dancing to this one & a lot more.

Did I miss anyone? I know I'll probably be castrated for leaving out Common & Wiz Khalifa. I'm sure they're great artists, based on their following, but it's just not for me. I will never try to defend the music  I like & I will never apologize for not being particularly drawn to something else. Anyone who does otherwise probably lacks self confidence & originality.

HAVE FUN THIS WEEKEND! And please say "hi!" if you see me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment