10/28/11

thank heaven for little girls

"As I always bite my tongue when I meet little girls, restraining myself from my first impulse, which is to tell them how darn cute/ pretty/ beautiful/ well-dressed/ well-manicured/ well-coiffed they are ...our culture's standard talking-to-little-girls icebreaker"
-Lisa Bloom

Maybe it's because I was such a stinking cute child (I kid, I kid.), but this article from Lisa Bloom really struck a chord with me & I think it's something that everyone should be more cognisant of. Many of my own childhood memories include compliments on my mini-me looks or being called Miss America & I'm completely guilty of doing this with little girls that I meet. Years & years of this type of greeting will most certainly result in the realization of "Oh wow. Looks are the first thing people notice about me. This must be really, really important." ABC News has even reported that nearly half of all three- to six-year-olds worry about being fat. 

You've got to be kidding me.

Bloom goes on to offer some great alternatives for when you meet a little girl. For example: "what book are you reading?," "what are your likes & dislikes?" These are all intelligent questions with no right or wrong answers. They also show that her interests & opinions matter, which is something that will undoubtedly lead to confidence later in life.

Just thought this was something to keep in mind & as Bloom says, "Here's to changing the world, one little girl at a time."


(via)

No comments:

Post a Comment