4/11/11

the first boy i'll ever love

The O'Connell boys: my brother, Uncle Jack, Uncle Billy, my grandpa, my dad & Jack's son

I remember being about 13 years & having the belief that giving flowers to a girl was the most romantic thing a guy could do for a girl he liked. I knew for sure that I would fall in love with the first boy that gave me flowers. Well, fast forward to my 8th grade graduation & that "boy" who gave me my first set of flowers was my great uncle Jack. It wasn't quite what I had in mind, but I still love him none the less.

There's really no one else quite like Uncle Jack. If I had to compare him to one other person, he would probably come closest to Rodney Dangerfield -- incredibly sharp & witty & he could bring you to tears with the jokes that he told. He also knew how to make me feel like the most special girl in the world. For as long as I can remember he would always break out into the Miss America theme song as I entered a room & then go on to say, "Well if it isn't Miss America herself! How are you doing, sweetheart? Let me see those braces of yours?" I couldn't help but feel like the most beautiful girl, big metallic smile & all.

It's not like we were super close or that I got to see him all that often, but it was always something I looked forward to & I loved his positive energy. Thankfully, I got to see him twice over Christmas. He was 92 & I knew his health was failing him. His mind, however, was sharp as a whip. One of the most adorable things I've ever seen was watching him slowly walk into the Christmas eve party wearing a bright red sweatshirt with 2 white sheep on it & the words "baa humbug" underneath. There he goes again, always making you smile. 

Uncle Jack made it over to our house again on Christmas day despite the exhaustion he was most certainly experiencing. I kind of knew that that was going to be the last time I saw him. I loved that I got to share one more day with him & he parting words could not have been more perfect & they will stay with me & make me smile forever --- "Be careful, it's a jungle out there."

We knew it was coming, but my Uncle Jack passed away this past Friday just shy of his 93 birthday. His whole family was at his side. There was a definite sadness that came over me upon hearing the news, but even after his death he was still managing to make me smile. I learned that he was donating his body to science (awesome), so there would be no traditional funeral services. In lieu of a service, he wanted to have a traditional Irish wake -- Just drinking & stories & ultimately laughter.

I am so thankful to have known such a wonderful man I have so many great stories that I will truly cherish forever. Uncle Jack, I'm going to miss you & I will certainly be raising a glass of white Zin in your honor.

Oh, & for the record, now I find that giving a girl flowers is totally unimaginative. Probably thoughtful, but unimaginative.

No comments:

Post a Comment