11/21/11

i was there : m83

Show: M83

Location: Lincoln Hall

Date: 11.17.11

Favorite Song: The declining temperatures in Chicago wasn't the only thing that was giving me chills that night. M83 put on quite the show & I'm still trying to decide what exactly my favorite song was. The set was very diverse & appealed to many different interests. For example, "Into" straight up gave me chills, while "Steve McQueen" was what got my body moving. Then there was "Year One, One UFO" that I don't particularly love on the album, but sounded so perfect when accompanied with the thoughtful light explosions. When it comes down to it though, I usually pick what's pretty. For me, that was "Wait." It was perfect & dreamy & the twinkle lights were a perfect complement.

Memorable Moment: I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to be greeted by the larger-than-life "Where the Wild Things Are" like creature that graces the cover of Hurry Up We're Dreaming. It was a nice touch though, & slightly creepy.
Biggest Letdown: Despite it being the 2nd show of the night, M83 got off to a bit of a rocky start -- lyrics were forgotten & sound levels were a bit off. Things seemed to get corrected fairly quick, so no major setbacks.

This Show: was memorable & interesting. Obviously, I was there for the music, which was superb, but as mentioned above several times, the lights really stood out as well. M83 had everything -- twinkle lights, strobe lights, light sticks, you name it. I was worried that it might be obnoxious & distracting, but their crew did a great job pairing up the lights with the music, especially when it came to build ups. This isn't something I normally take into account unless it's Pretty Lights or Deadmau5 or someone else of that caliber, but this display was notable to me & in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment