2/3/10

c is for...

Chicago!


I have now lived in the city of Chicago for 53 months and I would like to think that I've become quite familiar with this wonderful city. Lincoln Park has been my little haven since I've moved here, but over the years I have really appreciated exploring the various neighborhoods nestled in this Windy City.
There are so many wonderful places to explore in the city and I haven't even come close to seeing all that I hope to see, but here is a list of some of my top spots in Chicago...

Millennium Park is a total tourist trap, but still worth seeing. My favorite thing to do at Millennium Park is ice-skating in the winter. You get a great view of the city from the rink and it's just an overall nice way to spend a day.

If the cold isn't your thing, then I'd suggest checking out a concert at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. I saw Wilco several years back and had a total blast. Although it can be hard to see the stage, the sound at this venue is amazing. If you plan to sit in the lawn, be sure to bring some blankets and snacks and it will make will make the evening even more enjoyable.

"Cloud Gate" (or "the Bean") is also a must see element of Millennium Park and it can be enjoyed year round. The reflection of the city looks amazing and is well worth the trip.
While you're in the area, consider check out the Art Institute of Chicago and the Shedd Aquarium as well!

2. Smoque
As a Missouri girl, I love, love, love good barbecue. Smoque has more than met my criteria for good barbecue in the city. This Irving Park gem has grown quite a following and it is a rare sight to not see a line out the door. The menu at Smoque is fairly straightforward, with choices between pulled pork, brisket, chicken and ribs. Be sure to save room for some of their sides as well. The french fries are to die for and I also love their mac & cheese and peach cobbler. If you decide to dine in, expect to be elbow to elbow with total strangers. Smoque is BYOB though, so that makes the cramped experience slightly better.

I've never been to to Bonnaroo, Coachella, Austin City Limits or any other big music festivals, so I don't have much to compare it to, but Lollapalooza is always follows through a party on Chicago's front lawn.
I went to Lolla for the first time in 2005 and I've made it back every year since with the exception of last year -- which I don't want to talk about. This early August festival typically falls on the hottest weekend of the summer, but is totally worth the discomfort. The line-up boasts 130+ bands over a span of three days. Multiple stages are set-up in Chicago's Grant Park and the diversity of alternative, hip-hop, punk, dance and kids acts makes this event appealing to a wide-range of audiences. After several successful years, a deal was signed to keep Lollapalooza in Chicago through 2018.

Part of the excitement of Lollapalooza is the announcement of the acts. Lollapalooza 2010 is set for August 6-8 and headliners are expected to be announced in early March.

Oh the anticipation...

When people think of Chicago baseball, they tend to think of Wrigleyville. As a Cardinals' fan, I despise this area, but regardless, people tend to underestimate the charm and passion of US Cellular Field. Although the stadium is a little outside of the city on the Southside, it's just a quick ride from the loop on the red line.

The great thing about the Cell is that there is really not a bad seat in the house. Unlike their neighbors up North, the Cell has avoided excessive use of poles that can obstruct views of the game.

Once inside the stadium, be sure to check out the Beers of the World stand located in the 500 level. There are over a dozen options like Guinness or Stella Artois for $0.50 more than a Miller Lite. The Cell also boasts great options for hot dog lovers; they even have a veggie-dog for those herbivores out there! 
Finally, if you're looking for a souvenir to bring home, visit the custom shirt/jersey shop early in the game and it will be ready for you to pick up at the end of the game.

5. Avec
It's hard to single out one nice dining spot in Avec, but the chorizo stuffed dates wrapped in bacon at Avec might single handedly be the best thing I've ever put in my mouth. This tapas-style French wine bar also boasts five-star ratings at a $$$ price tag -- not bad.

The first time I went to Avec, I was with my foodie friends and we indulged to say the least. We shared about seven dishes between three people. In addition to the dates, the salmon and black rice dish really stood out. The fish was cooked to perfection and the seasoning was just right. Of the seven courses, two of them were complimentary because we bought a round of shots for the chefs. (FYI, They also love PBR).

Avec has an impressive wine list as well and I love that you have the option of ordering mezzas. The Gramona Gewürztraminer and Francois Labet Pinot Noir were two nice wines that stood out with my meal.

I can't talk about Avec without mentioning the decor as well. The wall of green wine bottles at the back of the restaurant is to die for; I would love to have that in my home. Avec is quite small and they don't accept reservations, but the clean look and delicious food makes the wait worth it. I had a friend that went and shared a table with two gentlemen who were kind enough to share their wine and food dishes with her, so the tight spaces can have its perks.

There is nothing better than Chicago in the summer, and part of the appeal is the various neighborhood festivals around the city. The options are endless and there is something for everyone, so you have to check it out yourself.

I'm a big fan of the Old Town Art Festival and Ribfest.

I am sure that there are a million great salons in Chicago, but Salon U has treated me so graciously for the past four years that I have to mention it. I have been getting my hair cut, colored and highlighted by Stephani during that time span, but I would trust my locks to any one of the the stylists at Salon U. The service at Salon U is so welcoming and they always take your coat and offer a beverage (even beer and wine!)

I can speak personally from my experience with Stephani that she develops great stylist/customer relationships. She always remembers where I have left off in my adventures in dating and I love hearing about her wedding plans. On top of that, I always leave ecstatic about my new look. I've gone from dark to light to dark again and my hair feels as healthy as the first time I stepped in.

Salon U is located at Lincoln and Lill (in Lincoln Park) and offers very competitive prices. I love that they use Kerastase hair products as well.

This is Chicago and people love to drink. I thought it was only natural to include a spot for drinks in the city, but I had a hard time choosing just one.

The rooftop at Zed451 stood out immediately as a place that I really enjoyed throwing back drinks at in the summertime. The atmosphere is ambient and cozy and worth checking out.

I still have yet to visit Roof at the Wit hotel, but I hear it's a fun place with sick views of the city. Roof opened last Summer and the lines were always outrageous, so I never felt a strong desire to check it out. I work right next door to the Wit now and I have this itching to check it out once the weather improves.
If you're looking for indoor options, check out Violet Hour in Bucktown for some amazing concoctions. The bar at Nacional 27 is quite impressive as well. I went and ordered my go-to Effen black cherry and water and was in awe to see that my drink was garnished with an actual black cherry! Yummy...

No, I didn't contradict myself and my distaste for Wrigley Field. I still hate the Cubs, but I do love Wiggly Field, the dog park located just north of Sheffield, Lincoln and Wrightwood. If I had to pick my "happy place" in the city, this would be it. What's greater than spending a day watching little monsters run around and play with each other? This park is usually pretty packed with critters and I've also noticed that it works as a great first date spot for dog owners.

Confession I've never been to this bikram yoga spot in Lincoln Park. It's not from a lack of interest; it just hasn't opened up yet. The Chicago School of Hot Yoga is set to open its doors in the Spring of 2010 and I couldn't be any more anxious. I tried bikram yoga about a year ago and totally fell in love. Trouble is, it can get quite expensive and the studio was a little bit of a hike to get to. I'm dying to start it up again.
Chicago offers many options for the active and adventurous, but bikram yoga happens to be my favorite.
***********************************************************
Just as a note, I built out this list on my flight from Denver to Chicago. While I adore each place on this list, there are surely some of my top spots that I left out. It's so hard to choose just a few! I heart this city...

No comments:

Post a Comment