2/2/11

nomenclature

"What in a name?
That which we call a rose
by any other name
would smell as sweet."
-Romeo & Juliet

I was pleasantly surprised to learn today that one of my top 3 favorite bloggers finally gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl. Naomi kept the sex of the baby as a surprise & still has the name in the works! She's definitely kindred spirits with my mom & perhaps one day I'll be the same as well. I think it's great to leave so much surprise for the end, but the curiosity just might kill me!

I never heard any stories about my sisters' name, but when my brother was born my parents still hadn't picked out a name. The hospital room had a copy of the Bible & my parents (being the devout Catholics that they are) scanned the pages & came up with John Matthew based off of the Book of Matthew & the Book of John.

The story I have heard about my name is that once again, my parents never really picked a name before I was born, but the family sat around & wrote down a list of ideas on a paper plate. (My mom was 8-9 months pregnant with 2 small children -- no way in hell she was going to wash dishes at that point!) When my mom finally went into labor with me she made sure to bring the paper plate & 'Christine' was the winner. Sure beats out my Dad's preference of Mavis. Yuck!

Surnames can be quite interesting too. I inherited a burdensome apostrophe when I was born into the world. I appreciate the heritage associated with being an O'er, but man can that thing be a pain in the ass sometimes! People can never find my name in their systems because sometimes I'm an "Oconnell" & other times I'm an "O'Connell." A lot of systems are big opposers for special characters & I get to re-submit forms all of the time. 

My brother is the only boy in my family, therefore my sister & I will most likely lose this pesky apostrophe one day. Our poor sister-in-law has been an O'Connell for just over half a year now & is still getting used to the impacts.

Do you have any interesting stories about your name? Like/dislikes?
What about babies? I know some girls that already have names picked out. Crazy!

Ps. I would love to make babies with the man above ;)

(via)

No comments:

Post a Comment