1/17/14

january || meditate

They say it take thirty days to create a habit. That's exactly what I intend to do this year. Form habits. Hopefully twelve of them.
I got a bit of a late start this month but I plan to meditate every day for thirty days. I'm realistic through so I'm giving myself two free passes each month.

I started meditating this week with the assistance of the Insight Timer app. I'm starting with just five minutes for the first week and then I'll work my way up. It's been interesting. This week I've mostly been testing out different positions (that sounds awkward). I created that little furry nook above in my room to make me more comfortable. It's been tough to quiet my mind but I try to just focus on long inhales + exhales. It works for a bit. I might try a new app called Headspace which talks you through the meditation process.

To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical about this whole meditation thing however there are plenty of articles out there that are helping to convince me otherwise so I'm going to keep it up. Some benefits include: Better focus, less anxiety, more creativity, more compassion, better memory, less stress, + more grey matter. I don't have crippling anxiety or stress by any means but these problem areas were my main draw to meditation. I think January is a good time of the year to not only hit the gym again, but also refresh your brain.

I'll let you know how it goes by the end of my thirty days. 

I'm still finalizing the rest of the months. Many of them are fitness focused, but some others I'm considering involve clean eating, more creativity, + waking up early. I got some ideas from THIS SITE. More to come in February...

No comments:

Post a Comment