1/29/10

adventures in skiing


I've gone skiing once in my life before about a year ago at Cascade near Wisconsin Dells. I loved it. I started out with a lesson from a very nice 15 year old boy and was hitting the bunny slopes in no time! I did pretty well too. Only fell once and that was when I was first getting used to walking. I eventually worked my way up to a green slope, but it did make me slightly uneasy.

I was psyched about the idea of skiing in Aspen in late January with my girlfriends.
Today we hit up Highlands. As soon as my boots locked with the skis my nerves set in.
We took the lift for what seemed like a lifetime and it was beautiful. I've never been to the Rockies or an altitude this high. I was in love... Until I got off.

I am embarrassed by what a baby I was about things. I definitely uncovered a big fear of mine. I hate speed and I hate feeling out of contol. Highlands green runs = no good. My body was in pain from working out the day before, I don't think my boots fit right, the people around me freaked me out, and on top of it all, I was scared out of my mind.

I managed to make it to the bottom (Thank God!) and now I'm loving life. My friends are doing one more run and I'm so content sitting by a fire pit at the base of the mountain, beer in hand and sick tunes flowing through my headphones.

Bunny slopes tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment