6/15/10

pindemonium


If I'm ever MIA, you'll know why. I have become obsessed with this website called Pinterest. I first heard about it through one of my favorite bloggers, SF Girl By Bay, so I decided to check it out for myself. That first visit was the start of a beautiful love affair. I've finally found a way to organize all of the wonderful things I see on the web.

So what exactly is Pinterest?

It's a way to save & store images by "pinning" the item to a "board". You can then follow other users that create boards to your liking. The concept of pinning is super easy. You only need to download a pinterest bookmarklet & click it to add any image from a website. I may not be giving the best description, but trust me, it's easy!

Just to give you a better idea, here are some screenshots of my own personal Pinterest page:
You "pin" an image from the direct website you're looking at by clicking on the Pinterest bookmarklet located in your bookmarks bar.
These are all of the "pins" from the boards that I follow
Here are some of my own "boards". I like to give them fun names, but some of the themes of my "boards" include: flowers, photography, fashion, home decor, etc.



Once you "pin" an item, you can choose which "board" (general category) to add it to, give it a more detailed title & description, & add more specific tags. Each pin also records the original URL that the image came from. Very handy!
In the past I have relied on my Google Reader to save & store anything I found interesting on the web. I still do to an extent, but I've found that Pinterest is much easier to sort through & find specifically what I'm looking for.

So, in summary, Im obsessed! I've spent the last weekend converting starred  Google Reader items to Pinterest. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, leave a comment or shoot me an email & I can send you an invite to the website. It's so wonderful!

**The one downside to this site is that I wish it had privacy settings. I know, I know, the world is paranoid, but this site might take a little bit of the "wow" factor (if I have such a thing) out of my blog posts. Oh well, I'm still in love!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine, I'm one of the co-founders of Pinterest. Thanks so much for the post. I think it's one of the best titles we've ever seen. We have to figure out a way to incorporate "Pindemonium" into the site!

    If you ever have questions or suggestions for new features, drop me a note at paul [at] pinterest [dot] com. We'd love the feedback.

    Happy pinning!

    ReplyDelete