3/3/10

ii.

Notebooks!

I have an obsession with Moleskine notebooks. I currently have five work in progresses, but that number will be bumped to at least eight in the near future. Each notebook has a theme and I add to them whenever I find free time. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have much free time, so most of my clippings and sitting in envelopes, patiently waiting to be trimmed, organized and added to their appropriate homes. My goal is to finally get caught up with this project and maintain them over the years until I create my own little library of clippings. 
My current themes are:
  • Recipes -- Pretty self-explanatory. I keep all new recipes that are given to me by friends and family or one's that I find in magazines in this book. I'm lucky in that that my family really likes cooking, so we're always sharing new recipes.  
  • Fashion -- If I see and outfit or piece that I really love I add it to my notebook so I can go back to it if I ever need ideas for a certain occasion (or for that off change that I win the lottery and get the opportunity to purchase all of these things). I think this notebook might be one of the most entertaining collections a few years down the road. Styles change like crazy and it will be interesting to see how society and my own personal style develop as I get older.
  • Wine Tasting -- I've recently been really excited about learning about wine. Whenever I go to a restaurant or try a new bottle I make it a point to write down the name, varietal and a few brief notes on my initial reaction. I can already tell that this simple exercise has helped me recognize differences in flavor and it also has helped me develop my own personal flavor preferences.
  • Interior Design -- I've been hooked on home design ever since interning at an interior design firm. I can't do much with my rental studio right now, but I hope that a few years down the road I can decorate a really beautiful home and do a lot of entertaining there. It helps that I can look back at any of the clippings in this notebook to gather inspiration.
  • Personal -- This is more or less an informal scrapbook. I love my life and I want to remember every special event that occurs. As a result, I've turned out to be one of those people that saves ticket stubs, programs, greeting cards, etc. This is simply the easiest way I can organize my memories in one place. I try to write down little notes that correspond with each thing that I add.



Notebooks I'm planning to add:
  • Inspirational -- I have little clippings of beautiful photography, color combinations, quotes, etc, but they don't quite fit in with any of my other notebooks. This one will just be for all of those random "other" categories that need a home somewhere.
  • Party Decor & Crafts -- I'm not much of a party planner, but I do love arts and crafts and I know that I have endless bridal showers, baby showers, birthday parties, and holiday parties in my future. There are some amazingly creative people out there with ingenious do-it-yourself projects for any possible occasion. Plus, I love any excuse to make a trip to the craft store.
  • Five Things -- I saw this sweet post by Inchmark about a journal she kept where she wrote down five things about each day. I love this idea! It's so simple, but it can capture a lot about a person. Plus, it would be so easy to do everyday on my commute to work.
The notebook thing is a lot of work and a little excessive, but at least I'm in good company!


***********************************************************
This weeks theme is the seven personal goals I want to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment