3/16/10

v.

Furnish my apartment!


This goal is somewhat of a double-whammy. You see, I'm dying to do more with my cute little studio apartment, but I can't quite get to that point until I start saving/making more money. I think I've come up with the perfect budgeting solution though! My apartment is itsy-bitsy, so I don't have much room for a bunch of big (read: expensive) pieces. I have, however, kept a little wish list in the back of my mind of items that will be of use in my current apartment, but also be pieces I can bring with me when I upgrade to a larger space. The list is small -- maybe 3 or 4 items, so it makes the most sense for me to budget by quarter. If I save about $150-ish a month specifically for home furnishings, I will have saved enough money to knock out all the items of my list. One each quarter of 2010.

Now for the fun part...my wish list!

Q1 - Mirror
My biggest complaint about my apartment is the lack of adequate mirrors (despite the fact that I have two full-length mirrors). The mirror I use most often is more or less a circus mirror -- you know, the one's that distort your body? This one is in a perfect location, but the mirror doesn't quite lay flat against the door and therefore creates a bulge right in the middle, which in turn, creates a bulge right in my gut. I'm pretty self-assured, but this mirror just makes me want to run to the gym each time I look in it.

My other mirror, on my bathroom door, is in such a tight space and I  have to stand in my overflowing closet to get a "good" look. Not ideal.

I've been researching floor-length mirrors for the past few months and I've got my heart set on this mirror from West Elm. I've debated a little over the silver option and this mirrored mirror from West Elm, but I've come to the conclusion that the dark brown will look best against a painted wall.

The great thing about mirrors is that you can't really regret purchasing an item like this. It's such a versatile and key piece that it easily translates into any room in the house. The end of quarter one is coming to an end and I'm itching like crazy to bring this item home. Just in time for swimsuit season too! Perfect.

Q2 - Bar Table
Okay, time for an embarrassing confession...

I pretty much eat dinner every night sitting on the floor of my bedroom. Classy, I know.

My studio actually has a little dining area that is attached to the kitchen and slightly apart from the living/sleeping area, but I haven't quite gotten around to purchasing a table yet. I've put a lot of thought into the type of table I want. My dining area is by no means spacious. A four-person table would be pretty cramped and a two-person table has always seemed like a total waste of money to me. I don't plan to live in my studio for much longer, and I can't imagine ever wanting to bring it with me when I move into a larger place.

My solution came when I received a CB2 catalog in the mail. This bar table is the perfect solution. It would fit snug enough in my dining room so I no longer have to eat on the floor and I absolutely love the little cubby-hole spaces. This piece not only works as a bar table, but could also be used as a bar station or a desk.

I don't totally love the white color and I'd probably prefer if it came in dark brown wood. I think the white will look nice with dark stools and a brightly colored rug though. This table is just screaming for a Design*Sponge before and after, but unfortunately, I don't think I'm the chick to pull that off.
Q3 - Barstools
What's a table without chairs? This is an item I'm still on the hunt for, but I'm really loving these Overlapping-Squares Barstools from West Elm. I've contemplated getting these Vapor Barstools from CB2, but I'm afraid that they will look a little too modern for my tastes when paired with the white bar table.

Q4 - TBD
I'm going to think about this one for a little bit. Like I said, I don't have a ton of room for many big pieces, but I'm leaning towards a bed frame, bookshelves, rug, or art; or some combination of the four. The tricky part is going to be deciding what will look good in the home I don't quite have yet.

I guess I always have the option to save the money. Maybe go on a vacation? Mmmm. That's sounding pretty amazing.
I'll keep you posted, but I just like the thought that a recent college graduate can have a nice-looking apartment on a low budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment