3/25/10

welcome to the world of the plastic beach

I love when the stars align and two of my interests mix together to form this perfect, beautiful collaboration. One of these wonderful enigmas occurred when I stumbled upon this awesome post from Annie at Design Milk. Annie highlighted the home design of artist Jaime Hewlett, the creative genius behind Gorillaz. (Hewlett is also responsible for Tank Girl).


I have been totally infatuated with the new Plastic Beach album by Gorillaz ever since it released on March 3, 2010 and Annie's post really got me curious about the world of the Plastic Beach and what it would be like to visit. Here's what I would bring with me to wear: 


(swimsuit by Chio / Cover-up by Ondademar)
(Shoes by Tibi / Swimsuit by Mara Hoffman)
(Cover-up by Vitamin A / Sandals by Diane von Furstenberg)

Okay, enough with the bright colors. Now, back to the music...


Gorillaz is quite an interesting band. First of all, they're categorized as a 'virtual band', meaning, the music is real, but the band members are represented by Jaime Hewlett as animated characters. Gorillaz' members include: 2D (lead vocalist, keyboard), Murdoc Niccals (bass guitar), Noodle (lead guitar and occasional vocals) and Russel Hobbs (drums and percussion). The band has collaborated with various artists which include: Lou Reed, Snoop Dog and Mos Def.


I've really enjoyed their past three albums and I'm already anxious for the next release. Who doesn't remember the first time that they heard the eerie laugh at the beginning of "Clint Eastwood?" I was in the backseat of my friend Jenny's XTerra the first time I heard "Feel Good Inc." Taco Bell may or may not have also been involved. Then there's the "Stylo" music video which is like nothing I've ever seen before.


My point? Gorillaz has this amazing ability to leave a lasting impression on those that listen to their music. That's a great strength to have if you're a musician. Plastic Beach was no exception. If you haven't checked out this album, do it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment