4/27/10

the great trench debate


I'm facing a dilemma. I really like the look of tan trench coats -- they're so clean looking and put together -- but I feel like everyone and their mother is wearing them these days. It is as if there is some new unspoken rule that tan trench coats are the unofficial uniform for twenty-something-year-old women living in Chicago. My morning and afternoon commute on the El gives me flashbacks to my 13 years of Catholic schooling and the plaid-skirted clones I occupied the classrooms with.

I'm in the market for a new Spring coat, but I'm having doubts that a traditional trench coat is the way to go. Here's a look at some nice, Spring trench-like options that might set you apart from these trench coat mafia's that are taking over...
Chicago gets it's fair share of April showers, so a waterproof raincoat with a hood would be perfect! (via Cup Of Jo : Penelope)

This light grey trench offers an alternative to the tan option, but still feels very Spring-ish to me. Too bad they don't have my size! (via Mod Cloth)
Way out of my price range, but I love this soft pink color and the belt with the little pouch attached. (via ShopBop)

Another one that I can't afford, but there's no way you'd get lost in the crowd wearing this bright and beautiful trench from Anna Sui. (via Net-A-Porter)
I wish I was a 14-year-old or under girl, because this linen trench coat from Chloe is amazing. I can even get past the tan color! Kids get all the good stuff... (via Little Fashion Gallery)

If I decide to go the traditional route, I'd choose this trench from Anthropologie.

The ruffle detailing adds a little something extra! (via Anthro)

By the way, that's not an exaggeration about the "everyone and their mother" comment. Middle-aged women seem to be absolutely thrilled to be digging out their trench coats from the 70's and 80's.

(top photo from ...Love Maegan)

No comments:

Post a Comment