8/25/11

a strange love affair


I already shared my story about having to sell my Lollapalooza ticket, but that did not prevent me from watching the live stream over Lollapalooza weekend. One of the stand-out acts from the stream was Portugal, the Man. 

In the weeks prior to Lollapalooza I had done a quick run through of their most recent album, In the Mountain, In the Cloud, & I really liked what I heard during that first listen. My interest was piqued when I saw their name in the Lollapalooza live queue. Portugal, the Man rocked the stage despite the threatening clouds that held the promise of a torrential downpour. Their live set was really quite impressive, so much so that I knew I had to see them live, in person. Lucky for me, tickets for their October show at the Metro were on sale. I snatched up a pair right then & there.

In the days following Lollapalooza, Portugal, the Man were all over the news in regards to the weekend. Unfortunately, it was not rave reviews about their set (which the band undoubtedly deserved) -- Their van & trailer containing all of their instruments had been stolen from a Chicago parking lot.

My heart really went out to them. I can only imagine what kind of high they were riding after a colossal performance at Lollapalooza. Not even 24 hours later it was all shattered. Luckily, this story comes to a mostly good ending. The Chicago police, fans & randoms worked together using the power of social media & were able to recover most of their equipment. Portugal, the Man's response was pretty awesome. Unfortunately, it seems like some sentimental pieces are still missing, but I'm glad some things worked out. Below are the missing guitars:

This post is longer than usual for me, but I think Portugal, the Man deserves the praise. Their music is awesome, & well, they seem like pretty cool guys. I hope you check out some of their stuff & maybe even join me at the Metro on October 15th.


No comments:

Post a Comment