10/15/12

i was there : frightened rabbit

Show: Frightened Rabbit
with Arc in Round

Location: Lincoln Hall

Date: 10.11.12

Favorite Song: I got to hear a lot of my favorites including "Backwards Walk," "Old Old Fashioned," & "Twist," but my favorite of the night had to be "Poke." Scott Kutchison delivered a solo rendition with no amps + no mic. He did, however, have help from the crowd with the "ooo oo oooo's."

Memorable Moment: Frightened Rabbit is such an entertaining band to see + it isn't because of their funny Scottish accents. They were all about the crowd involvement with some of their background noises, but still proceeded to stop in the middle of the songs to make fun of us when we just ended up sounding like dead animals. I love a musician with a sense of humor + you just leave the show thinking that they must be the coolest guys to hang out with.

Biggest Letdown: The show was perfect in my opinion, but the band themselves were having a no good very bad day. These poor fellows were stuck at border control for 6 hours + came out of that experience short $20k. Yikes. It did lead to some funny banter though that went something along the lines of:

"Alright, I'm sorry for being grumpy earlier. I fucking love America. And you guys didn't come here tonight to hear me complain. Wait...I'm pretty sure all I do is complain in my songs."

[queue everyone laughing]

This Show: landed itself in at least my top 5 shows of 2012, possibly top 3. I said it via Twitter, but it really hit the trifecta of great music, entertaining band, + awesome venue. Before this show I had attended an event for Chicago Ideas Week on the meaning of life with smarty pants speakers like Deepak Chopra & Mitch Albom. I definitely came out of that event feeling a bit more enlightened, but if Deepak Chopra is right in that the meaning of life all comes down to wanting to be happy, then I'm pretty sure nothing makes me happier than a wonderful live performance like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment