10/10/12

thank you, chicago

I don't think I say it enough, but I really love Chicago. This city has treated me very well for the past 7 years + has taught me some valuable life lessons along the way. I hadn't really thought thought about it until San Francisco, but I could navigate that city pretty damn well + that came from years of practice in Chicago. I'll admit, I was pretty freaked out by the barefoot blonde trixie with a toothbrush in her month taking clothing from a group of homeless men's shopping cart at midnight because she was cold, but the two homeless men wiping each other's rear ends in broad daylight didn't faze me one bit. And for that Chicago, I thank you.
I also really love San Francisco though. This was my third trip out there + probably was my favorite for a few big reasons:

1. San Francisco taught me the art of layering. I struggled a bit during the first day or two, but that perfect October weather didn't make it that much of an issue. I love the layered look + all of the locals seem to pull it off so well. I was constantly surrounded by inspiring styles.

2. This city really makes me appreciate my food snob friends (+ I mean that in the best way possible). I got to eat at some really amazing restaurants including Bar Tartine, Bar Agricole, + my unbiased favorite, Flour + Water.

3. The cab drivers there, while scarce, are pretty awesome. First off, can I say how amazing it is that the cab drivers in SF use Square? This is truly Jack Dorsey's city. I also met a cab driver that upon hearing I was a Cardinals fan told me about the one finger Indian chop we just gave the Braves. Awesome.

4. You don't have to go to fancy places to get good food. Sometimes all you need is a burger & fries animal style. This was my first ever In-N-Out experience + it was mighty tasty, minus the onions on my fries. I can't wait until my next west coast adventure when we can meet once again.

5. Everyone is a hipster or at the very least a yipster! If I didn't love hipsters, I wouldn't be living in Bucktown right now. I felt right at home in San Fran.

6. A world of new experiences is just a few minutes away. Whether it's biking to Sausalito, eating stinky cheese at the Cowgirl Creameryshucking oysters in Marshall, or visiting those off-the-beaten-path wineries in the Russian River Valley,  it is all absolutely unique + wonderful. Northern San Francisco won me over big time.
7. But there's also plenty to do right outside your front door. I got to be extra touristy this trip with a visit to Alcatraz + a bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. I loved both, but sometimes just walking through the different neighborhoods proved to be just as exciting.

8. And let's face it, there's no such thing as a flabby a%# in a city that hilly. Sign me up!
But all of that aside, I wouldn't have had as awesome of a trip as I did if it wasn't be my perfect friend Shannon + her wonderful hospitality. I loved getting to see her new little life out west + I'm so glad that I got to share so many of those wonderful activities with someone I don't see nearly enough. Love you, Shan. I can't wait for our next adventure!

Oh, + I guess I had a pretty great travel partner as well (even if he wore his "Bow-Lin" shirt in public).

No comments:

Post a Comment