11/15/10

something unexpected pt. iii

I've alway been a little unsure of dub-step. To me, it's that bridge between hip-hop & electronica & I'm not quite certain how I feel about that. Obviously I love electronica, but hip-hop makes me slightly uneasy & I've never really embraced it. I feel like I'm way too much of a suburban white girl to ever really fit in with hip-hop culture. I went to a Catholic all-girls high school, for Christ sake!

Rusko was a different experience & he totally changed my opinion about dub. I had his album O.M.G.! prior to the show & actually really enjoyed a lot of the songs. Something still made me slightly nervous about going to see him live though. How the hell am I supposed to dance to this music? Would I be dressed too preppy? This could be a total failure...

Everything changed when I walked up the glorious staircase at the Metro. I fit in. Everyone fit in. Sure, there were a lot of people that must have barely made the 18 & up cutoff, but none of that mattered when Rusko started spinning. 

That boy brought it! I had some of the best few hours of live music & definitely contributed to the giant mass of movement & sweat on the dance floor. So much so, that I managed to sweat through my corduroy jeans -- it's possible, I promise (& quite disgusting).

Rusko really stood out as a live performance because he was able to change my opinion about a genre of music as a whole. Not an easy feat. I can be pretty opinionated & stuck in my ways when it comes to the music I like. So props to Rusko for proving me wrong, showing me an unforgettable night & turning me on to a whole new realm of music.

...Oh. And did I mention I won these tickets for free on Chirp Radio? Double win!

Enjoy a little Woo Boost!

(I have to admit, I was pretty happy to hear the familiar sound of Imogen Heap that night as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment