11/15/10

something unexpected pt. iv

Frightened Rabbit might have been the one show that I was least excited for, but mostly out of naïvety. I had heard good things about them & liked a handful of songs, but I had never really given them a good listen.

 The concert was in early November, so I was still riding my live music high & couldn't possibly turn down a friend with a spare ticket & another chance to bask in the greatness that is a live concert.

Best decision I ever made. Frightened Rabbit totally went above & beyond my expectations. The House of Blues was jam packed with people of all ages that seemed to be enjoying the show just as much as me, if not more.

But despite all of the fun & dancing, the show made me really, really sad. I mean honestly, the line "I hate when I feel like this & I never hated you" is pretty freaking intense, especially when done  acoustically. It reminded me why I am where I am with my musical tastes right now & why there is a natural progression when it comes to likes & dislikes.

A year ago, I would have been all over Frightened Rabbit. I ate up all things indie rock & really felt a personal connection with the music, which is great. I felt like it got me & it was comforting to know that other people felt emotions similar to mine.

If you follow my blog or Twitter feed, it's pretty obvious that I've gravitated less towards indie rock & more towards electro-dance music in the past year. If you ask me why, I'll say it's because dance music is fun. And it is.

Seeing Frightened Rabbit certainly left me with some sad moments, but is it weird that I've kind of missed those? Since the show, I've found myself going back to some of my old favorites, with a little disco thrown in here & there (of course)! It just goes to show how wonderfully dynamic music can be & it's nice to know that you can always find that little corner of the music world that has exactly what you need at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment