1/10/11

if you're not changing, you're not living

"That's how you get ahead. You gotta take risks & you gotta have faith. And I do"
-Speaking in Code

Pitchfork posted this really interesting documentary on electronic music called Speaking in Code this past Friday that will be up until the 14th. I was drawn to it for obvious reasons, but the documentary takes an interesting look at this musical subculture that I think any music lover would enjoy.

Director Amy Grill goes to 11 cities in 5 countries over a span of two years to explore the world of electronic music. She speaks with artists, producers, DJs, journalists, promoters & even her electronica-obsessed husband to get a deeper look into this lifestyle of sound.

It's really interesting to learn how electronic music has grown within the past few years as well as how it varies from country to country. It makes me a little sad that the United States is so far behind on the electronic music scene (no thanks to the negative stereotypes that do along with dance music), but it also makes me really curious to one day get out there & experience this scene outside of the United States. More specifically, it makes me want to venture to the Sonar festival in Barcelona. I feel like everyone claims that one to be the electronic music festival of the year.

Overall, great documentary. I highly recommend watching Speaking in Code while you still have a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment