1/28/11

self love : balance

I had a yoga instructor bring forth this idea of creating balance in one class & it really struck a cord with me. Obviously you need balance in yoga, but you also need it in life. 

A few days after that class I came across a post on Zen Habits which directly addressed the issue of work/life balance. I found some of these points to be helpful & I hope you do too.

7 Steps Towards Work/Life Balance

1. Set a time to shut off work
If you're like most people out there, this can't always be the case. Emergencies arise & greater time & effort needs to be devoted to a task. This shouldn't be habitual though. Pick a time to shut off work & stick to it.

2. Find something to immerse yourself in after work
There are a million hobbies one can choose. Choose the one that is right for you. This can be as challenging as learning a new language to something as simple as taking daily walks around your neighborhood. 

3. Learn to be mindful & present
This is something I always come back to & is probably the thing I love most about yoga. When you're holding a pose it's so easy to let your mind drift back to something troublesome, exciting or challenging in your life. But with yoga, your only purpose for that hour is to be present in the moment & be mindful of your breath. Let everything else go & focus on what is important in that moment.

4. Take breaks at work
I don't know why this one is always so hard for me. People are not intended to sit at desk for 8+ hours a day staring at a computer screen. Get some water. Say hi to a co-worker. Give yourself a mini massage. Ask a question in person instead of emailing. Whatever you choose, just get up & do it.

5. Increase your skills at work -- to prepare for leaving work
The chance of you staying at your current job or position for the rest of your life is highly unlikely. When you are at work, make the most of it. Take advantage of the fact that you have a job & tools to help you do your work better & people around you that know more than you. Accept mistakes, because that's how you learn. Absorb it all in, so that you can eventually take all of those skills & grow professionally.

6. Find ways to increase your income while decreasing your hours
Unfortunately, I'm not quite at this point, but when you do all of the things listed above & get really freaking good at what you do -- guess what? You can be your own boss. Sounds pretty glamourous doesn't it?

7. Learn you are not defined by your work
I'm happy to be a search analyst, but I'm also a friend, a music snob, a yogi, a blogger, a daughter, a sister, a Cardinals fan... I'm a lot of other things & you should be too

I think my music, blog & yoga obsessions that I've developed in the past year is my psyche's way of creating balance in my own life. I'm an incredibly curious person. I want to see, hear & do more all of the time. As much as I love the career path I'm on, I can't do only that all of the time & Zen Habits' post made me realize how important it is to not do that. 

Leo Babauta probably does a better job summarizing these points, so check it out here. Just wanted to add my two cents!

(via)

No comments:

Post a Comment